Today, I was lucky enough to take part in a mock Congress in my government class. Many of my fellow seniors of this great class of 2010 know exactly what I am referring to as they were some of my fellow senators, or perhaps some members of the House. Either way, the bill discussed in the senate just happened to be the Health Care Bill. I was a Republican in the discussion, Senator Jim Bunning from the great state of Kentucky to be exact. As a Republican, I was opposed to the passage of the bill and had some strong arguements to back me up. However, there were an equal number of good points made on the Democrats side. In the end, there were few things that we agreed on, but one thing we did agree on was that reform was needed. As great as America's current health care system may seem to us privelaged Americans, there are far too many people that are not so lucky. In my opinion, I do not see a better option at this point in time. With politics the way they are today, there are compromises that must be made in order to make both parties as satisfied as possible. There will most always be aspects that a certain group of people may disagree with. In conclusion, I am down to try out this new health care thing, and if it doesn't work out then we will just have to try again.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Mock Congress
Today, I was lucky enough to take part in a mock Congress in my government class. Many of my fellow seniors of this great class of 2010 know exactly what I am referring to as they were some of my fellow senators, or perhaps some members of the House. Either way, the bill discussed in the senate just happened to be the Health Care Bill. I was a Republican in the discussion, Senator Jim Bunning from the great state of Kentucky to be exact. As a Republican, I was opposed to the passage of the bill and had some strong arguements to back me up. However, there were an equal number of good points made on the Democrats side. In the end, there were few things that we agreed on, but one thing we did agree on was that reform was needed. As great as America's current health care system may seem to us privelaged Americans, there are far too many people that are not so lucky. In my opinion, I do not see a better option at this point in time. With politics the way they are today, there are compromises that must be made in order to make both parties as satisfied as possible. There will most always be aspects that a certain group of people may disagree with. In conclusion, I am down to try out this new health care thing, and if it doesn't work out then we will just have to try again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment